Sunday, April 20, 2008

gray is my favorite color. michael. miles. coccaro.

The saddest thing I think I’ve ever read in a newspaper was a story about a man who blew himself up in Israel so that his family would be compensated for his actions by some terrorist (?) organization. What made it particularly poignant was that they showed the picture of the man with his two baby daughters, a picture he had taken the day before he blew himself up. There he was, smiling through his big black beard, proud as only a father can be, with his two healthy daughters in either of his arms. Just a family picture for them to remember him by, all his kid’s will ever have of him and them. How sad it was, that man could’ve done so much more with his life, he could’ve done so much more for his family, but he threw it all away for money for their immediate future. Maybe I’m being too harsh, too rash, I know nothing about this man, know nothing about his situation, know nothing about his motivations. I think only of my own father, of how much I love him and would ! neverwant him to do that for me. I’d rather be poor and have the love of my father than well off and fatherless. Money is like a cushion, the more you have of it, the more comfortable you are. I don’t know about you, but I can get by sleeping on a dirt floor. I think about what it must’ve been like for him, just before he blew himself up, what was he thinking of? Was it his family? I hope it was, because anything else would’ve been inappropriate, to say the least.So what can be said about this man? A man who blew himself up and possibly others (I can’t remember whether or not he killed anybody else). Was he a martyr? Was he a good man? Was he a good father? Like I said before, I’m ignorant of it his circumstances, but I think that he was just a guy like everyone else, trying to look out for his family, the only way he thought he could. His is the story of the ambiguous nature of the modern world, a world we’re all a part of. This shit is fucked up, but hey!, welcome to life, you’ll find it’s very gray, if you care to get close enough to reality to see that.

No comments: